Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How To Install A Runner on Stairs

Yesterday I posted before photos and talked about how we replaced the treads and prepared them for the runner.
I wanted about 5” of tread showing on each side of the runner so I needed it to be 25” wide and it’s hard to find that size so I bought carpet and had it cut into strips and bound in black down the sides.  It took 5 pieces that were each 6’ long. 

DSC_0756

My Dad did all the hard work and I was the pad cutter, pattern matcher and staple refiller, oh and lunch lady.  He put carpet tack strips about 1/2” from the back of the step and then stapled the pad in place.  Both were cut 2” narrower than the runner.

DSC_0742

Then there was a whole lot of stapling, jamming the carpet behind the strip with a tool that looks like an axe head on a handle, and stretching, pulling and more stapling.  All while making sure the pattern was staying straight.
Since the staircase turns there are two funky shaped stairs that I kept calling pie shaped but I’ve never had pie shaped like that !  We were able to fudge the first one to make it meet the next one where it should.  

DSC_0754


The next step was more difficult because it had to be custom shaped on the right side.  Luckily I had some extra carpet that we cut in the exact shape and took back to the awesome carpet guy and he bound those edges.    I thought we could do it with our 25” strips but I also almost failed geometry.  Between the two of us we figured out how to get the pattern just right.  


DSC_0753

The view from upstairs looking down……..

DSC_0766

DSC_0761_crop

The carpet I chose was a Stanton wool and was on close out for 75% off, the pattern was just what I had in mind.  It has a loop pile and will hold up under the high traffic that these will get.

Thanks Dad, you did a great job !

Linking to ...... Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now wait just a minute! You "(went) off to find carpet for the runner." and came back WITH THAT? And had it bound, too? And a wool for 75% off? Why Miss Tammy I do believe you're pulling our collective legs. Do you know what an impossible proposition that would be for me to pull off? Two months later I'd be cursing the pink shag I'd settled for!

Unbelievable girl!!! And you have a SuperDad!

Ellen

Tammy@InStitches said...

Well Ellen, I was on a mission ! I had already searched the internet for 3 days and couldn't find anything the width I wanted. I think every carpet store has a back room with remnants, at least that's where I always head to when I'm looking for rugs. p.s. I've seen your workroom and there's no pink shag in sight !

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

It looks great Tammy! I've heard of being able to go and have carpet cut for your specific needs. Abbe from studioten25 did that for her bedroom when she needed an area rug!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to leave a comment all morning: Blogger won't let it go through! I'll try again.

Anonymous said...

Ok, just went through!
Nice nice job Tammy: you are a lucky girl to have such a Dad.. And I see Zoe enjoying your work!

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

Looks wonderful! I love the pattern you selected. I'm also loving your paint railing in the dark color. We're thinking about painting our rail and threads a darker color.

Unknown said...

Wowza-what a fab job-so love the carpet and the black binding-your dad rocks!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Tammy, that looks great and is definitely a wow! Hard work, but so worth it. Thanks for joining my party.

Pamela said...

Just beautiful!!

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness! What a dramatic change! I absolutely love the runner - so classic and timeless. Nice work! Are you and your dad available for hire? ;-)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, it looks fantastic. Love the carpet color and pattern. Beautiful and very dramatic. Hugs, Marty

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I am so impressed...really wonderful!

Becca Bertotti said...

What a fabulous transformation! I am so impressed with this ... absolutely stunning!

Kathy said...

That is very very cool! Coming from Kims and so glad I did

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Wow, that looks so classy. Very good job!! What a blessing to have your dad be able to help you like that!!
Yall did an excellent job!!
It is such a wonderful addition to your home decor. Simply Beautiful.
Blessings, Nellie

Unknown said...

These stairs are STUNNING!!! I'm so envious! I love your choice in carpet! The entire thing is just Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Can you post a picture that shows us how the runner meets & blends in with the upstairs floor? This is where I always get confused.

California Girl said...

found you via the Wow Wednesday post and was struck by the beauty of your runner and the stairs you probably painted. Do you have children? I see you have a dog. My goodness, I had nothing so lovely after my boys walked upright. They wrecked everything! What they missed, the two 70 lb dogs and cat finished up.
This is really great. I'd love to see a close up of the carpet to get an idea of the texture.

###### said...

he sure did...wow a great job indeed. lucky you!

Tammy@InStitches said...

Thanks for all the compliments ! This weekend I'll do a follow up post and answer the questions and post some more pics that you asked for.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin